WASHINGTON, D.C. – May 1, 2015 – (RealEstateRama) — Colonel Steven G. O’Donnell, Superintendent of the Rhode Island State Police and Commissioner of Public Safety, announces that on April 30, 2015, members of the Scituate Barracks arrested Mr. Richard J. Reis, age 56, of 39 Chapman Street, Pawtucket, RI for numerous charges and outstanding arrest warrants.
Members of the Scituate Barracks attempted to conduct a motor vehicle stop on a vehicle that was speeding on Diamond Hill Road in the City of Woonsocket. The vehicle, a red Ford Taurus, attempted to evade Troopers by moving behind a building at the Walnut Hill Plaza. Troopers located the red Taurus which fled after striking a Trooper on his side as he attempted to remove the driver from the vehicle. The vehicle exited the plaza and crashed into the Shell Gas Station located across the street. Troopers again moved in and attempted to extricate the driver from his vehicle. The driver resisted and moved his vehicle in reverse, striking another vehicle before fleeing north on Diamond Hill Road. The pursuit ended after the Taurus became disabled after crashing into four other motorists. The suspect was transported to Rhode Island Hospital for non-life threatening injuries sustained from the multiple crashes. One of the other motorists was also transported to Landmark Hospital for non life-threatening injuries. The Trooper did not sustain any injuries as a result of being struck by the suspect vehicle.
Seized from the suspect vehicle was merchandise that was alleged to be stolen from the Emerald Square Mall.
Mr. Reis is being charged with the following:
• Driving Under The Influence of Liquor and/or Drugs- BAC Unknown (2nd Offense)
• Assault With A Deadly Weapon
• Leaving the Scene of Accident – Attended Vehicle
• Reckless Driving/ Eluding Police
• Resisting Arrest
• Receiving Stolen Goods
• Operating With A Suspended License-Certain Violations/DUI
• Affidavit And Arrest Warrant from Cumberland Police Department for Reckless Driving/Eluding Police and Operating With a Suspended License
• Affidavit And Arrest Warrant from Warwick Police Department for Shoplifting
• Superior Court Bench Warrant for Felony Shoplifting from Warwick Police Department
• Superior Court Bench Warrant for Failure to Appear For Status Conference for Felony Assault from Warwick Police Department
• Superior Court Bench Warrant for Failure to Appear For Pre-trial Conference for Forgery and Counterfeiting from Pawtucket Police Department
• Superior Court Bench Warrant for Failure to Appear For Status Conference for Felony Assault with a Dangerous Weapon from Cumberland Police Department
• 6th District Court Bench Warrant for Failure To Appear/ Ability To Pay for Operating With A Suspended License from Central Falls Police Department
• 3rd District Court Bench Warrant for Felony Shoplifting from Warwick Police Department
• 3rd District Court Bench Warrant for Failure To Appear For Arraignment for Operating With A Suspended License-Certain Violations/DUI from Warwick Police Department • Numerous Civil Traffic Violations
Mr. Reis will be arraigned at 6th Division District Court upon his release from the hospital.
Captain Robert Wall District “A” Commander RI State Police Headquarters (401) 444-1009